Monday, February 13, 2012

Apron and Chef Hat Baking Birthday Gift - Jayrica's Party

    

Mady was invited to one of her friend's birthday parties on the weekend. As always I was trying to figure out a gift. I like to give gifts with at least a little thought behind it, no batteries required, and something that I wouldn't squirm if the roles were reversed and my kid was receiving it.

My sister suggested a little baking set. And of course, I tend to take things to an extreme. There is so much out there to make cute baking sets! I had to make myself stop where I did.


I went online and found a super cute apron pattern here. And a chef hat pattern here. Mady helped me pick out fabric. That sounds like a simple project, but seriously, she likes EVERY pattern out there "Mom! This one has butterflies!" "Oh look, Fairies!" " Oooo that's so PRETTY!" An hour later we finally left. Poor Katie Mae got dragged along and is not so thrilled with fabric stores.


I spent about an evening and an afternoon putting them together while watching mindless TV. And seriously, this apron is my favourite project ever. I think I need to make one for each of my girls. It's just so dang Ca-ute!

 

Then I found a mixing bowl that coordinated with the fabric, and a whisk (it was even yellow, thank you Michaels!), added a rolling pin, some measuring cups and spoons and some cookie cutters (my neurotic every-thing-must-match self had to let go of the perfect set that matched in theme and colours and instead let Mady pick out the cookie cutters since the gift was technically from her...Deep breath in... and out... and know that 4 year olds do not notice little details like that).



I designed the card on my silhouette software and then used the elements from it to design some recipe cards. We filled in 3 of the recipe cards with some kid friendly (read microwave and no-bake!) recipes and then included extras for Jayrica to create her own recipe collection.



It was a hit! I heard another little girl proclaim "I want to be a chef!" when she saw it. Aw! That melts my heart.
(Sorry it's blurry! No excuse except that I'm not a photographer)
The party was a bouncy house party. I love how much kids of this age love to jump. Guaranteed good sleeps later!
(I think it's impossible to not a get a flashy, non blurry photo in a bounce house!)
Happy Birthday Jayrica! Thanks for inviting us to your party. Mady loved it!





 

Linking up here:
Sumo's Sweet Stuffa to zebraKeeping It SimpleTip 
Junkie handmade projects


KitchenFun


Oopsey DaisyTuesday To Do Party





















4 comments:

  1. ohmygosh, she is so cute! :)

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous! I don't know where you find the time!!! Every little girl is going to want Maddy at her birthday now you realize. You have set the bar very high! lol
    Lovely to see a mum loving being a mum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this is beyond adorable and I love the gift that went along with it too! You are very talented :) Please stop over and share at Mix it up Monday:

    http://flourmewithlove.blogspot.com/2012/02/mix-it-up-monday_12.html

    I hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete

The fact that you take the time to leave me comments makes my day! Thanks for taking the time. I read every single one.