Monday, February 28, 2011

Home Made Creme Eggs


So this weekend I came across a fabulous recipe for home made cadbury creme eggs. I know, right? I was so excited and got right to work making them. Except I got halted when I pulled all the ingredients out of my cupboard and discovered I was basically out of icing sugar. Of course it was snowing, cold and miserable and there was no way I was going to venture out in the snow with two little ones (I'm committed to my sugar intake, but there are points that I draw the line!). So I called Mark and asked him to stop at the store on the way home from work to pick some up for me.

Sunday afternoon while the girls napped I attempted the recipe. Now my first problem was that I don't have the proper egg molds. But I figured it was okay as I could substitute and use the wilton half-egg cupcake molds. I have 12 of them so I figured that would be plenty and they would be bigger, but since they're only half an egg it evens out, right?

I mixed up the filling as per the recipe. They warned me that the step where you roll the yolks and put the eggs together was sticky. They weren't kidding. I highly recommend damp, cold hands. Not super wet (that also makes a sticky mess), but not totally dry. I kept a bowl of cold water, would dip my hands and shake them off. It worked great.

I made 12 fillings out of the batch, it worked perfectly.

Then I got to the chocolate. The recipe only calls for 12 oz of milk chocolate. I figured I would probably need more since I had bigger molds, but I wasn't concerned since I had a big 750g bag. Ha! I used the whole thing for 9 of them and then had to finish off the rest with semi-sweet (which is totally NOT the same, let me tell you).

But in the end I think they turned out cute. Don't you think? I'm so excited for November when I'll be craving them and they're still 3 months away from store shelves.

So, you should make them. But just in smaller molds. Hehe! Here's the link

Linking up here and here:

Tute yourself tuesday red and white

17 comments:

  1. Your eggs look beautiful! Are they delicious? Worth the effort? I'm tempted to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup totally yummy! There is enough sugar in mine to cause an immediate diabetic coma, but that's purely because of the size of them (they're cupcake size!). They're not hard at all, but they did take some time just because you have to let them firm up in the fridge between all the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So stinkin' awesome! I love those Cadbury eggs! And homemade? You are a genius!!! I just might have to try to make these. Nice job!!! Yours look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, I can't take credit for the idea, but they sure are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan of these eggs, but you've just made my husband a very happy man. He loves them, and so do my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to feature this tomorrow! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, really cute! I wouldn't guess you could home-make those either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a Cadbury Creme Egg Glutton.
    Knowing I can make them myself may be the most dangerous discovery of my LIFE!
    Biz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! Just run on the treadmill while you wait for each step to set up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh man, my dietician would have a heart attack, but they look so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could send some to NC if you want! I can't wait to try these. Thanks for sharing, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! I am english and grew up on these (it isn't easter without them!) but now live in Germany and can't buy them!! You are a GENIUS! Lol. You have no idea how excited I am right now to try this. A million thank-yous for sharing!!
    Humble Homemaking

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, I love these! Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy that I found your post! Cadbury Creme eggs are one of my all time favorite things. I am so excited to try these out. Thanks for posting.

    http://blissfulmeanding.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! And they sound heavenly right now. Thanks for linking up! btw have i told you i love your blog name?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made cream eggs? Are you kidding me? Impressive! I won't dare tell the hubs that they can actually be made at home, he'd be all over me to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just wanted to let you know that I featured you today!! Come check it out at LittleEme.blogspot.com and grab your button!! :)

    ReplyDelete

The fact that you take the time to leave me comments makes my day! Thanks for taking the time. I read every single one.