Monday, June 6, 2011

1950's Apron



For Mady's sock hop party, I knew I wanted the girls to wear poodle skirts, but then I was kind of stumped over what I would wear. I didn't really want to make a poodle skirt because I knew I wouldn't wear it again. For the food segment of the party I'm making my dining room into a  soda shop, so I thought a 50's apron would suit just fine. I went online and found an etsy shop that sold the pattern I used.
Basically I just wanted a pattern with this kind of top. 


The first thing that should have tipped me off to the difficulty was the fact that this is a vintage pattern. You  know, from the era when everyone actually knew how to sew. I'm still very much a beginner. I called my mom and had her explain some things on more than one occasion. And a couple of times I made it up.

it even has a cute little heart-shaped pocket. I don't know what I'll use the pocket for, but it's a cute decoration!

The lady who sold me the pattern said it came in medium, large and extra large. The original pattern was the medium and she added inches to it for the large and XL. I wasn't exactly sure which size to do because it only went by the waist size and mine was between sizes. I opted for bigger and I think in hindsight I should have gone for smaller and stuck with the original pattern as the apron turned out a bit more "flouncy" than I was expecting.

this is the part I had to make up. Putting the lace on was fine, but in the corners of the scallops was weird. And thus more flouncy.

Okay, and part of that is because I had to make up part of the pattern that wasn't very clear (and I was working on too late into the night to call my mom and I just wanted it to be done. Which it was. 3 days later).

In the end, once i knew what I was doing, it wasn't a really difficult pattern, there was just confusing wording and not any real pictures (just confusing drawings), which slowed things down for this visual learner.
this would typically be the picture where I would model it for you, but in order to get any light I had to take these during the day. And I only have a three year old as an option for a photographer. Thus, my chair is modelling it on my behalf. Chair models make waist-bands twist. It sits right when it's on me.


But, it IS kind of cute, hey? I'm looking forward to wearing it.



50's housewife I am not, but I did end up with a pretty fun apron.

Please excuse the yellow-hued pictures. Thanks to lots of clouds and rain and weather that does not at ALL feel like summer, picture taking for a blog is not exactly easy!




linking up here:
Keeping It SimpleThe Girl CreativeMaking
Todays Creative Blog

6 comments:

  1. Aaagggghhhh!!! SOOO cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a thing for aprons....
    This is sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's absolutely wonderful - I really want to make myself an apron like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented. I love the design of this apron. I wish I had one!

    ReplyDelete

The fact that you take the time to leave me comments makes my day! Thanks for taking the time. I read every single one.