Monday, May 21, 2012

Ragged Butterfly Place Mats

 
It isn't very often that I get a new idea. Like totally new, not copied from anyone.

Usually I see a project that inspires me and it's purely just an "I want one too" kind of thing and I make an exact copy (or a wonkier version, but with the idea of a copy...)

This project was different.

I was thinking through all the details for Madelyn's upcoming birthday party and in thinking of the table decided that I needed place mats (for those of you who don't know me, that's a big deal. I'm pretty anti-place mat).

I got it stuck in my head that I needed butterfly place mats. In the birthday colours (of course).

However, I knew that finding them randomly in a store was probably not going to happen, so that meant I would have to make them.

At the same time, this entire month I've been helping make ragged quilts with the ladies at my church, like this:
Source and tutorial
I'd never done anything like this and it's been quite fun learning the process (which is surprisingly very easy). Well, I must have had the style idea on the brain because when I was thinking about how to piece together my butterflies, this process came to mind.

And then I couldn't shake the idea. I HAD to make these. 10 of them to be exact.

So over the weekend, that's what I did. I'll post the tutorial tomorrow so you can make some too. I think they would be a fun gift to give a little girl for a tea party place setting or something. And you're not stuck at butterflies, basically any fun shape would work.


What do you think? There'll be lots more party stuff coming up pretty quick in the next week or two!

 

1 comment:

  1. They turned out so cute! I want some (and I don't like placemats either!)

    ReplyDelete

The fact that you take the time to leave me comments makes my day! Thanks for taking the time. I read every single one.