Thursday, July 28, 2011

Christmas in July: Twelve Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 11

So you know when you realize at 11o'clock on a saturday night that you have to bring a plate of cookies to church tomorrow? Just me?

Maybe you suddenly crave something on a hot summer night but just don't want to turn on the oven? No?

Well maybe you just want a yummy tasting square that is unlike all the rest, even though it's so simple and easy?

Okay, now that I have your attention...

I discovered these ones while looking for something quick and easy to make. They are my favourite go to when I forget I'm supposed to be bringing something because they fall under the category of "convenience store recipe" meaning every ingredient can be bought at a convenience store if you don't already have it on hand.


Mars Bars Squares
(slightly adapted from Company's Coming Chocolate Everything cookbook, which really contains chocolate in every recipe ranging from cheesecake to main dishes. Amazing.)

Here is what you'll need:

4 Mars Bars (50g each, black and red label), cut up (they don't come in this exact size anymore, but it's just the regular size ones)
1/2 cup butter
3 cups rice krispies cereal

Topping:
1 cup Semisweet or milk chocolate chips (I prefer milk)
1/4 cup butter
optional - white chocolate for drizzle


Heat candy bars and butter in large saucepan on low, stirring constantly, until melted. Remove from heat.
Add rice krispies. Stir to coat. Pack into greased or foil-lined 9x9inch pan (I always use foil).

Topping: Heat chocolate chips and butter in small saucepan, stirring often, until smooth. Spread over the top. Optional: drizzle with white chocolate. Cool. Cuts into 36 squares.

4 comments:

  1. I love quick and easy receipes. thanks for sharing!
    Debbi
    -ourhometoyours

    ReplyDelete
  2. quick and easy my kind of receipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was googling for Company's Coming Cookie recipes, and your blog came up. I almost didn't click on this picture because I thought for sure that it involved peanut butter. I love love love that it doesn't and it includes a chocolate bar that my daughter can actually eat! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why wouldn't they count as a Christmas Cookie, they are classic and you know most people love them!

    ReplyDelete

The fact that you take the time to leave me comments makes my day! Thanks for taking the time. I read every single one.