Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Rolled Easter Baskets

So last year, about a week before Easter, something caught my eye in blogland.

Home made Easter baskets.

Lovely, fabric, scrappy, shabby-chic, spring-y, not too big, not too small, not too juvenile, Easter baskets. They were perfect and I was utterly in love!


There was only one problem.

Time.

I had no idea if I could find supplies locally (sometimes a problem in Canada when you read American craft blogs) and since I have TWO kids there was no way I could only make only one and I had less than a week.

So I put it on the list for next year, determined to do them.

In January we had some warm weather that totally got me in the Spring mood so I dug out the tutorial and went in search of supplies.


I was able to find the cording needed at Fabricland, but no one in any fabric store (not even quilting stores) had Honeybuns (some had Jellyrolls, but that was it and they're too big). I looked on Etsy, but the only stores that carried them (including the one linked to in the tutorial) were closed or on holidays.

When I get an idea in my head, I have a hard time just waiting around, so I looked up the dimensions of the honeybuns (1.5 inches by the width of the fabric, generally 44-45 inches. 40 strips in each roll), bought a scalloped cutting wheel (they didn't have a pinking wheel. So weird) and went in search for my own fabrics to make strips out of.


This project took me a long time not because it's hard, but because I ran out of some supplies (thick thread) and couldn't get back to get some. So finally a few weeks ago I got them finished. They look great up on my mantle. And I can't wait to fill them full of fun Easter goodies this weekend. Hopefully they last for years to come!



Want to make one too? You can find the tutorial here.

Linking up to the fabulous parties in my party tab. Check em out!

4 comments:

  1. They turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really neat- I love the crafty look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely LOVELY! Can't wait to try the tutorial - thanks for sharing it!
    Found you on not just a housewife - now following. Would love to have you over for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I love this idea. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete

The fact that you take the time to leave me comments makes my day! Thanks for taking the time. I read every single one.